For the crepes:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon or lime
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly + 2 tablespoons of cold butter for the pan
For the filling:
- 12 tablespoons nutella
- 1 tablespoon crushed hazelnuts (optional)
- 1-2 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- Whisk together the eggs, flour, milk, salt, and lemon zest in a large bowl until well blended and smooth. Make sure there are no lumps from the flour.
- Drizzle in the melted butter and whisk until the batter has thickened. It should have the consistency of melted ice cream.
- Set a crepe pan or medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it is hot. Butter the pan with your cold butter and immediately ladle in a ½ cup of the batter. Tilt and swirl the pan so the batter coats the bottom, and set the pan on the burner.
- Lower the heat to medium, and cook the crepe for a little less than a minute, until the underside is lightly browned in a lacy pattern. Flip it over with a spatula, and continue to let it cook for ½ minute or longer, until the second side is lightly browned, then remove it to a warm platter. Keep in mind that sometimes the first crepe cooks a little bit unevenly or becomes too brown along the edges. It gets easier as you continue and temper the pan.
- Heat the empty pan briefly, then butter it again. Repeat the process and ladle in another 1/2 cup of the batter to make another crepe. Repeat the sequence, stacking up the finished crepes on the platter, until all the batter is used up.
Fill and serve the crepes as soon as possible, while they are fresh and warm. Take one crepe off the stack, and place it with its lacy-patterned side down. Spoon a generous 2 tablespoons of nutella in the center of the pancake and spread it over the surface, leaving an inch-wide border. If you want to “chef it up”, scatter a spoonful of chopped hazelnuts over the chocolate layer for some added texture. Then fold the round in half, hiding the filling, and fold again into a plump quarter-round. Fill and fold all the crepes the same way. Serve each crepe with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.
Feel free to experiment with different fillings like fruit jams, melted chocolate or even a combination of peanut butter & jelly.