- 8 cups of toasted country style bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (you can also use country style bread that is 1-2 days old)
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut into chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 Persian cucumbers OR 1 regular cucumber, sliced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely shredded, plus a few whole leaves reserved
- Toss the bread, tomatoes, onion, and cucumbers in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the salad, and toss to mix thoroughly.
- Season with sealt.
- Let sit for about 15-20 minutes, until the dressing moistens the bread
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with the basil, season again with salt, and toss gently, and serve. Add a sprig of basil before serving.